Check_item still wraps at 4gb

Ivan Kalik tnt at kalik.net
Sat Oct 17 01:57:58 CEST 2009

>> I have been trying for years now too simply cap users based on data
>> transferred above 4gb.
>>
>> It has only been now that I discovered , where the problem lies.
>
>>>  RADIUS supports 32-bit integers.  Not 64-bit integers.
>
>> How can I solve this?
>
>>>  Patch the code to use 64-bit counters.
> I know it is expected to be a programmer to use open source software, but
> unfortunately I am not one. :/
> I do find it strange that only parts of freeradius seems compatible with
> the
>> 4gb figures.
>
> I have since employed a work around that now uses gigs as check item and
> not
> bytes, however this blows my reply item out the water.

Ok, so counter module can't handle returning two attributes in the reply
(gigawords and octets). But perl can. Counting can be done by the sql
module (to avoid overhead for connecting to the database in perl) and
result (counted gigawords and octets) passed to perl for some very basic
calculations. You will need more knowledge to construct counter queries
oin sql than for programming in perl.

> Any advise on what ISP's use as a radius solution?

Freeradius.

Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP