Freeradius possible memory leak

Szymon Roczniak simon at dischaos.com
Thu Sep 3 14:35:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

This could be related to a similar problem reported a couple of weeks ago.

We have a FreeRADIUS 2.1.6 installation running on 64bit CentOS 5.3. The
radiusd process is allocating more and more memory with time (around 0.5GB a
day). There are only around 5-6 requests/s and other than chewing all memory
the server doesn't seem to be doing much work.

This radius instance has only one sql module (rlm_sql_mysql) in the authorize
section and another one - sql_log (writing to a local file) in the post-auth
section.

The detail module is listed in accounting{} section but it's not used on this
box (nothing is set to send accounting information to this server)

All other sections in the default site are empty (the box only does auth)

I've followed the advise from the previous thread and run radiusd under
valgrind for around 10-15 minutes with some generated traffic and
the output is:

valgrind --tool=memcheck --leak-check=full /usr/sbin/radiusd -f
[..]
==11730== LEAK SUMMARY:
==11730==    definitely lost: 8,705,168 bytes in 27,890 blocks.
==11730==    indirectly lost: 8,351,440 bytes in 26,598 blocks.
==11730==      possibly lost: 17,072 bytes in 56 blocks.
==11730==    still reachable: 118,598 bytes in 2,467 blocks.
==11730==         suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks.
==11730== Reachable blocks (those to which a pointer was found) are not shown.

Is there anything else I can do to track it down and possibly fix the problem?

Would setting up max_request_per_server to something else than 0 be a good
workaround for it in the meantime?

--
szymon roczniak
simon at dischaos.com