Freeradius + MySQL At System Boot = Freeradius Failure

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 16:26:58 CEST 2009

On 09/07/2009 07:51 PM, James Duffy wrote:
> Marinko
>
> This sounds like a race will take place between the two processes if
> there is no co-ordination. If (as you say) you are able to start mysqld
> after radiusd then I think if you look at tail of
> /var/log/radius/radius.log you will see something like:
>
> Starting connect to MySQL server for #0
> Couldn't connect socket to MySQL server root at 127.0.0.1:radius
> Mysql error 'Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (61)'
> Failed to connect DB handle #0
> Ready to process requests.
>
> and then messages about radiusd managing to re-aquire the db handles
> later on - eg:
>
> Trying to (re)connect unconnected handle 3..
> Starting connect to MySQL server for #3
> got socket 3 after skipping 0 unconnected handles
>
> There needs to be a wait-on-mysql option for radiusd startup - surely??
> What baffles me is that I'm a newbie here and surely all the veteran
> users have long since flushed this problem out into the open - or does
> nobody EVER use the NAS sql extensions??

Typically this is controlled via init scripts in /etc/init.d which are
used to start services. init scripts from a few years back would declare
their start up order. When you install software from a distribution the
distribution vendor would make sure all of their scripts were ordered
properly. Recently init scripts in Linux were enhanced to comply with
LSB and now support finer control including what prerequisite services
are required (see Required-Start).

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?