MAC/IP/Identity correlation through AAA and DHCP

Ben Jencks ben at bjencks.net
Sat Sep 12 19:26:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

First, this is in a wired/wireless WPA2/802.1x environment. I'm trying
to create a log of who (real world identity) had what MAC and IP when.
The plan is to periodically parse the FreeRADIUS AAA logs (identity to
MAC mappings) and DHCP lease files (MAC to IP mappings) and correlate
them. Before I dive into parsing these, has anyone written these
scripts already?

Alternatively, will the FreeRADIUS DHCP server do this without any
extra work, and is it mature enough for production? I couldn't find
any real documentation on it; just the feature page, and it says it
only supports static addresses (I need to oversubscribe the address
pool, so I can't do static).

Thanks,
Ben Jencks