Setting up a virtual server to handle incoming proxied requests

Patric patricrt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 14:56:58 CEST 2009

Ivan Kalik wrote:
>> With the above config I have listen sections for auth and acct.
>> Do I understand the documentation correctly if I add this to the above
>> existing config:
>>

>> client primary_server {
>>         ipaddr                        = primary_server_ip
>>         secret                        = shared_secret
>>         require_message_authenticator = no
>>         nastype                       = other
>>         virtual_server                = requests_from_primary
>> }
>>

> OK.

Thanks for your response Ivan & Alan, Im finally starting to understand
how they fit together :)

I started implementing this but ran into a snag Im not sure which is the
correct way to get around.

As I mentioned all my clients reside in the nas table of my database,
and my sql.conf has readclients = yes to load them from there.

When I attempt to define the above client so that I can set the
virtual_server parameter, I get the following error (obviously...)

rlm_sql (sql): Adding client primary_server_ip (Primary, server=<none>)
to clients list
Failed to add duplicate client Primary
rlm_sql (sql): Failed to add client primary_server_ip (Primary) to
clients list.  Maybe there's a duplicate?
Failed to load clients from SQL.

To resolve this should I now remove the primary server from my nas table
as I am defining it in the clients.conf ? Or is there a way to leave it
in the nas table and assign a virtual_server directive to it?

Thanks for the time and patience
Patric