Error: WARNING: Unresponsive child

muffin sk muffinsk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 16:23:54 CEST 2009

Hello Alan and all,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

> this sort of message means that the child process is taking
> ages to do what is asked of it. in this case, its accounting and
> the accounting config is trying to run some external executable which
> is taking a while to do its thing.

Previously, this has been working smoothly. Then we changed some
configurations on the following devices which currently we are now
facing the problem:

On the router's RADIUS Authentication and Accounting configurations:

- Retry Count from 3 to 10
- Timeout from 3 to 10

On the FreeRADIUS's /etc/raddb/radiusd.conf:

- max_request_time from 30 down to 10

On the MySQL's /etc/my.cnf:

[mysqld]
wait_timeout=3600
connect_timeout=10
interactive_timeout=120
max_allowed_packet=16M
skip-name-resolve
max_connections=500
thread_cache=256
thread_concurrency=16

Of all the changes that we made, what could be the culprit that made
this problem triggered?

> i see you are using PERL - there are known issues with PERL and
> CentOS/RHEL is regards to process start up time - with rlm_exec
> you are having to start this up and connect etc everything - you'd be
> better off using the rlm_perl PERL module to do your work...

Noted.

> better still - ditch 1.1.x , move to 2.1.x and use a virtual server for
> accounting with asynchronous buffered access so that accounting doesnt
> affect your live authentication etc

Noted.

Thank you once again.

Regards,