Error: WARNING: Unresponsive child

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 17:24:42 CEST 2009

Hi,

> Retry Count is the maximum number of times that the router retransmits
> a RADIUS packet to the RADIUS server. In this case, this has been
> increased from 3 times to 10 times.
>
> Timeout is the interval (in seconds) before the router retransmits a
> RADIUS packet to the RADIUS server. In this case, this has been
> increased from 3 seconds to 10 seconds.

..as I said

> Basically, the number of subscribers increased. If we do a maintenance
> window where we swing back and forth the traffic to the router, all
> the subscribers will hit the router which eventually push all the
> RADIUS Requests to the RADIUS server in one shot and on which the
> MySQL backend is choked during that time.

are you doing authentication and accounting via MySQL?  did you perform
a benchmark of the RADIUS server + MySQL (eg with dumb temp accounts)
to check what the loading could be?  in my experience, authentication can
be done quickly - its usually the accounting that gives the big hit -
I would advise FR 2.1.x with buffered accounting to get such packets out of
the way of the live authentication service.

alan