No Auth in Debian Lenny

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Apr 20 17:21:10 CEST 2010

Thanks for your replies and help.

On Saturday 17 April 2010 01:51:22 am Alan DeKok wrote:

>  (1) Read http://freeradius.org/doc/
>  Most external documentation is wrong.

This is the documentation I was working from:
http://wiki.freeradius.org/PopTop

Not external after all.

Now that the FAQ is fixed it's a bit easier to get information.

Yes, the main documentation is thorough, but while it specifies all off the
possible options and configurations, it's a bit difficult to winnow down to a
specific, simple example.

> Read the NAS documentation to see what it requires in an
> Access-Accept.  Then, configure FreeRADIUS to send those attributes.

NAS configuration is a perfect example.  It wasn't necessary to worry about it
in the 1.x configuration (for poptop at least), and it's not clear to me what
mechanism 1.x actually used.  I don't actually run a mechanism intended for
Network Authentication on my single-server network.  Do I need to worry about
PAM or Samba as login servers?  Do I need to worry that the Samba
configuration has changed from smbpasswd to tdbsam?

It looks to me like whatever the NAS configuration should be, it's working,
with the minor detail of parsing the domain or realm from the username.

The current documentation is an excellent reference for the experienced expert
in FreeRADIUS.  It is not so useful as an introduction to someone merely
trying to accomplish a simple task.