Using Nas IP Adress as client "key"

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 23 10:15:28 CEST 2010

Johan Meiring wrote:
> This works very well, but has a few irritating (not showstopping) side
> effects.
>
> 1)  Sometimes we have more than one Nas behind the same natted connection.
>     This means that they all have to have the same shared secret.
>
> 2)  Also it happens that a different Nas ends up behind a previous Nas's
>     IP (dynamically assigned broadband IP) and then the shared secret
>     is again rejected.

  Yup.  That's a limitation of RADIUS.

> Within a corporate/large telco's network, the Nas's (802.11x switches or
> Dslams) are generally behind fixed IPs,  but for the hotspot world any
> Nas source IP goes.
>
> Is it not a maybe a good idea to start considering a different "key" to
> identify the Nas by.

  Use SSH, or SSL.  Create an SSH or OpenVPN connection between the NAS
and the server.  That avoids most of the problems.

> In clients.conf (or for dynamic clients) a paramter ("nas-key") that
> could be Src-IP or Nas-Id.  i.e. you can choose the "key" that
> identifies a spesific Nas/client and therefore the shared secret.
>

> Does it sound like a bad idea?

  Yes.  It means that it's even easier to spoof the packets.

> How difficult would such a change in Freeradius be?
> (I've not read the source code yet, just throwing an idea out there).

  It might not be hard... but it won't go into the main release.

> Opinions?

  Lots.

> PS:  I realise that tunneling the radius traffic is a different solution
> to the same problem, but in our case not always easy to implement.  (The
> only extra "layer" I would love to see is RadSec.)

  In progress.  But that requires upgrading the NASes, too.  That's much
harder than upgrading FreeRADIUS.