Password Policy - Expired Password - mschap

Theparanoidone Theparanoidone theparanoidone at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 00:45:22 CEST 2010

Hi Alan~

Thank you for the reply; your response helps saves me some time.

> 3) A long term solution; I don't believe password expirations are that
>uncommon
> anymore with all the security requirements (HIPPA, PCI, etc etc) that depend
> upon this.

I am new to radius, and although it is now clear that "expired passwords == user
is blocked until they can authenticate from some other computer" ... I'm just
surprised.

I guess an alternate method is to implement login scripts to check if a users
password expiration is approaching, and if so... prompt the user to update it
before it expires (via, email, popup, whatever).

Is that what the rest of radius users do / a best practice?

Thanks for all your help... all and all, freeradius is awesome.

Thanks!