Screwy RHEL problem

Daniel Davidson danield at igb.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 23 22:33:57 CEST 2010

I am migrating our system to freeradius2, I have a test environment that
works well on my fedora system that I am moving to a new server.

I can authenticate with the server perfectly if I start the server using
radiusd -X, however if I then cancel that and run it with the RHEL
startup script it doesnt work.  I messed with the startup script so that
it would run with -X, and noticed my problem right away.  If I run the
raidusd -X from command line it loads the ldap module, when I run the
script, it doesnt load the ldap module.  I see no reason for this to
happen, does anyone have any experience with this problem?  If so, what
is the solution?  I double checked the permissions and they should be
correct.

thanks,

Dan

[root at radius modules]# radiusd -X
FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.7, for host x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, built on Dec
30 2009 at 13:46:28
Copyright (C) 1999-2009 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License v2.
Starting - reading configuration files ...
including configuration file /etc/raddb/radiusd.conf
including configuration file /etc/raddb/proxy.conf
including configuration file /etc/raddb/clients.conf
including files in directory /etc/raddb/modules/
including configuration file /etc/raddb/modules/ldap
successful auth

[root at radius modules]# /etc/init.d/radiusd start
Starting RADIUS server: FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.7, for host
x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, built on Dec 30 2009 at 13:46:28
Copyright (C) 1999-2009 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License v2.
Starting - reading configuration files ...
including configuration file /etc/raddb/radiusd.conf
including configuration file /etc/raddb/proxy.conf
including configuration file /etc/raddb/clients.conf
including files in directory /etc/raddb/modules/
no ldap line
failed auth