Memory leak on reload

Derek Chee dchee at uci.edu
Tue Aug 24 23:31:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have a FreeRADIUS 2.1.9 installation (compiled from source) running on Solaris 10 Sparc and I've run into a memory leak issue when reloading the configuration with a HUP signal.  I have a very simple RADIUS setup with just an authorize and a users file.  The users file is rather large at 41MB and over 110,000 records, but I've noticed that problem with the default empty users file, too.

Starting up FreeRADIUS with -X, waiting until FreeRADIUS says "Ready to process requests." and checking the memory usage, I get this:

# ./radiusd -X
# ps -opid,vsz,rss,osz,args -p `pgrep radiusd`
  PID  VSZ  RSS   SZ COMMAND
 1379 250704 248448 31338 radiusd -X
# pkill -HUP radiusd
# ps -opid,vsz,rss,osz,args -p `pgrep radiusd`
  PID  VSZ  RSS   SZ COMMAND
 1379 488272 483376 61034 radiusd -X
# pkill -HUP radiusd
# ps -opid,vsz,rss,osz,args -p `pgrep radiusd`
  PID  VSZ  RSS   SZ COMMAND
 1379 725840 715856 90730 radiusd -X
# pkill -HUP radiusd
# ps -opid,vsz,rss,osz,args -p `pgrep radiusd`
  PID  VSZ  RSS   SZ COMMAND
 1379 963408 705800 120426 radiusd -X

Eventually the radiusd process takes up all of the memory on the system and the system grinds to a halt.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what might be causing this and how to fix it?

-- Derek