Compiling with newest OpenSSL

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Aug 25 12:00:25 CEST 2010

David Mitchell wrote:
> I'm hitting some snags trying to compile from source with the newest
> OpenSSL. I have compiled Openssl 1.0.0a and installed in /usr/local/ssl
> (the default location). With FreeRadius 2.1.9 configure fails to detect
> with errors which look like something which is possibly a problem with
> my OpenSSL install. Ultimately, configure finds OpenSSL OK with the git
> version but the resulting compile fails for reasons unrelated to
> OpenSSL.

  Which "git" version are you using?  Which branch?

> I'm not sure the best way to proceed. FR 2.1.9 doesn't seem to
> like OpenSSL 1.0.0a, but the current git version seems to have a bug
> which is stopping the build. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

$ LIBS="-ldl" ./configure ...

  That should address the "cannot find dlopen" issues.

  It's a little annoying that the crypto libraries require dlopen().

> I'm OK with running the git version as this is only for use on a test
> server right now. But my compile ultimately fails with:

> /home/mitchell/src/newest/freeradius-server/src/freeradius-devel/radiusd.h:107,
>                  from rlm_acctlog.c:28:
> /home/mitchell/src/newest/freeradius-server/src/freeradius-devel/smodule.h:144:
> error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘RADCLIENT’

  Ah... you're using the git "master" branch.  Don't do that.

  Read http://git.freeradius.org and follow the instructions for the
"v2.1.x" branch.  That page also explains why you SHOULDN'T use the
"master" branch.