aaa authentication login and dot1x with one server

Sascha Frey sfrey at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Sun Aug 29 21:35:51 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up freeradius to authenticate users logging in to our
switches (Cisco IOS) and provide authentication for 802.1X.

1. SSH/Telnet access to our switches for admin users (aaa authentication
   login)
   - Every user who is able to login to the server running freeradius
     should be able to login to the switches (Linux server with
     libpam-ldapd (nslcd) and pam_access.so to limit access by netgroup)
   - Using PAM seems to be the right way (direct access to the LDAP
     database would allow all users and not only certain users with
     membership in the admin netgroup (pam_access with
     /etc/security/access.conf)

2. IEEE 802.1X with EAP-TTLS and dynamic VLAN assignment (aaa
   authentication dot1x)
   - Using the freeradius LDAP module (direct access to the LDAP
     database)
   - 802.1X users are in a separate subtree (ou=dot1x,dc=example,dc=com)

How do I setup freeraius to use PAM for authenticating users?

How do I combine both functions with different auth methods in one
server?

I found some howtos for #2, which doesn't seem to be the problem.

I appreciate any help.

Regards
Sascha