too long Calling Station Ids

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Dec 3 13:12:52 CET 2010

On 03/12/10 11:51, Josip Rodin wrote:

> I already told PostgreSQL to just stop limiting it, because AFAICT there's
> no actual benefit.

Under postgresql, there is NO performance benefit or storage space
saving using varchar(N) or char(N) over "text". The latter should IMHO
always be used, and we modified the SQL schema locally to do that.

It's also worth noting that 253 octets of radius value can expand to
3*253 if they're all "unsafe" characters and have to be =XX escaped;
dumb behaviour or not, it's very unfortunate when a NAS brings your
whole radius->SQL infrastructure crashing to a (silent) halt because of
unnecessary field length restrictions ;o)