too long Calling Station Ids

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Dec 3 16:53:33 CET 2010

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> writes:
> Josip Rodin wrote:
>> Just ran across this IRL:
>>
>> 	Calling-Station-Id: GigabitEthernet 1/0/3.2045:2045#587202578###pppoe c0:d0:44:e4:cf:3b#
>
>   Arg.  That's a *stupid* thing to do.
>
>   It would have been saner to define VSAs to hold all of this
> information, or to re-use the standard attributes.

I fail to see how that is wrong.  It *is* the NASes Calling Station
identificator.  What do you suggest a PPPoE concentrator should use?

Yes, I know RFC 2865 says "phone number". But if fails to say anything
about the situation where there is no originating phone number.  So
vendors use what they have.  And port/vlan/mac is the best they can do
unless they have some PPPoE intermediate agent information.

Bjørn