ERROR! Our request for peap was NAK'd with a request for peap

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Dec 10 09:56:48 CET 2010

Rob Yamry wrote:

>          It pretends to implement EAP, but it does not.  Disable EAP for the
>         printer.
>
> There isnt an option to disable eap on the printer.

  That's a little hard to believe.  Most printers *don't* do EAP (i.e.
802.1X).  Just use it like a printer, without doing 802.1X.

>  The protocols I
> have the option for on the printer are leap, peap and eap-tls.  peap and
> eap-tls give me the above error.  leap just kinda stops (i should
> probably disable leap anyways).  Is there any
> workaround/update/enhancement to get this working (peap, that is...)?

  Let me repeat: the printer does not do 802.1X.  It does not do EAP.
It is lying to you.  There is *nothing* you can do to FreeRADIUS to make
it do EAP with a printer which doesn't implement EAP.

  Upgrade the printer firmware (if possible) to a version which does
EAP.  Or, disable 802.1X, and don't do authentication for the printer.