FR 2.1.6 add realm to User-Name before Proxy by listening port

Mika mika.koivisto at logica.com
Mon Dec 13 14:48:06 CET 2010

Hello.
How would i go about configuring the following with FreeRadius 2.1.6?
I need to change the User-Name attribute by adding a realm to it based on
incoming listening port, before the Access-Request is proxied
(Proxy-To-Realm) to backend server.
Googled and found a way to do this with the hints file and one listening
port, but i need to do this for many ports.
We are talking about 100-200 ports. One port per customer/realm.

User-Name "david" from Customer 1 connects:
AAA client (groupname auth) -> FR, Port 21812 (FR converts username to
david at customer1) -> Access-Request to Backend OTP-server with "User-Name =
david at customer1"

User-Name "david" from Customer 2 connects:
AAA client (groupname auth) -> FR, Port 21813 (FR converts username to
david at customer2) -> Access-Request to Backend OTP-server with "User-Name =
david at customer2"

This is what i would like FR to do.

Is virtual servers the best way? I have not used that before, so i am
thankful for any configuration examples you can give me.
The AAA client (NAS-IP-Address) is _usually_ the same for all customers.

My hints-file:
DEFAULT User-Name !~ ".*@", NAS-IP-Address == "x.x.x.x"
         User-Name := "%{User-Name}@customer1"

Thanks in advance.