Reloading Freeradius configs via HUP

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Dec 29 13:30:46 CET 2010

On 12/29/2010 11:22 AM, Phil Pierotti wrote:
> and then I just answered my own question.
>
> 'hints' is handled by 'preprocess' module not 'files' module.
>
> So changes to 'hints' file requires a *complete restart* , not just a HUP.
>
> (sigh)
>
> "files" -> I don't think that word means what you think it means.
>
> k, so is there *any* way to make "re-read the config" actually reread
> *all* the config as opposed to "only some arbitrary portion of said
> config which might possibly meet your needs, or maybe not"?

Kill and restart the server.

Or write (and hopefully submit) patches to the "preprocess" module to
duplicate the HUP functionality of the "files" module.

Another option, depending on what you're doing, is to move the
funtionality out of a "hints" file into an "unlang" section. These are
re-read on HUP, and can modify the request pairs (a common reason to use
hints)

See "man unlang" for more info.