Difficulties with rlm_perl specifically sending mail

David Buckley david.buckley at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Feb 2 00:12:46 CET 2010

Greetings from New Zealand

I have a two factor auth system built using rlm_perl, which is all
working fine but for one problem.

I have a function that sends emails for sending one-time passwords via
SMS which works perfectly when FR is run as radiusd -X, but doesn't work
when FR started as a service.  This FR 2.1.7 RPM installation on RHEL
modern and patched.  When run as a service RHEL runs radiusd as user and
group radiusd.

Suspecting this might be a user permissions related issue, I whipped the
code out into a standalone test script, and it still works fine when run
under my normal non-priv'd account.

Since the module runs fine when run as radiusd -X, there seems little
point in including the debug output.

Here is the relevant code, which for the purposes of testing I put into
the accounting() function as its much smaller than authorize().  The
problem is that the $smtp thing never gets created when run in the
proper context; it is an undefined item and thus the code below doesn't
get invoked.  The radlog debug message obviously doesn't appear either.
Prior to me inserting the test I just assumed that the $smtp thing would
be created, which lead to error messages such as "Error: rlm_perl:
perl_embed:: module = /etc/raddb/otp.pl , func = authorize exit status=
Can't call method "mail" on an undefined value at /etc/raddb/otp.pl
line..." the line being "$smtp->mail($fromaddr);".

Can anyone suggest how I might get to the bottom of this frustration?  I
should say at this point I'm not a perl expert!

use Net::SMTP;

sub accounting {

    my $number = '*cellnumber*';
    my $msg = 'hello, world!';

    my $mailhost = '*deleted*';

    my $fromaddr = '*deleted*';

    my $toaddr = $number . '@*deleted*';

    my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new($mailhost, Debug => 0, Timeout => 10);

    if (defined($smtp)){
        &radiusd::radlog(RL_DEBUG, "We've created $smtp");
        $smtp->mail($fromaddr);
        $smtp->recipient($toaddr);

        $smtp->data();
        $smtp->datasend("From: $fromaddr\n");
        $smtp->datasend('To: ' . $toaddr . "\n");
        $smtp->datasend("Subject: " . $msg . "\n");
        $smtp->datasend("\n");
        $smtp->datasend("\n");
        $smtp->dataend();

        $smtp->quit;
    }

    return RLM_MODULE_OK
}

If there is a disclaimer below here, I apologize - the corporate gateway
installs it on outgoing mail.  Its my opionion it's a waste of
bandwidth, and the (very expensive) lawyers agree with me, but they
don't see that there is any harm in having it, so its there, "just in
case"...

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.