Logs from /var/log/radius/radius.log

muffin sk muffinsk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:08:35 CET 2010

Hello Fajar,

First of all, thank you for your time answering my questions to this list.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar at fajar.net> wrote:

>> Thu Feb 11 05:53:24 2010 : Info: rlm_sql (sql): There are no DB
>> handles to use! skipped 0, tried to connect 0
>
> usually this means the db is dead, or unresponsive, such that radiusd
> can't find a DB handle it can use

What will happen to the requests and/or the attempt to connect to the
database? Will it timeout and retry again? Will it cause the user to
fail to login? What are the possible side effects on this log?
Honestly, even though it is an INFO log, the mere fact that somehow
the request failed, I am very much concerned on it.

>> Thu Feb 11 05:53:25 2010 : Error: WARNING: Unresponsive child (id
>> 1241577792) for request 123582 (in component accounting module
>> rlm_sql)
>
> ... which can happen if (for example) you have millions of records in
> radacct, with non-optimum DB settings, and insert/updating a record
> takes a loooooooong time.

Then, what will happen? It's an ERROR type of log. What are the
possible side effects for this?

Thank you for your time again.

Regards,

Muffin