Problems with freeradius accounting proxy

Phil Pierotti phil.pierotti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:00:00 CET 2010

Hi Alan,

The main reason my initial checking was with tcpdump was to identify what
the packets were doing.

ACCT request IN from LNS - check
ACCT request OUT to downstream RADIUS - no

So the problem is not due to the downstream RADIUS failing to respond at
all. (ie genuinely/obviously dead)

Overnight I upgraded to 2.1.8, and now the behavior has changed, slightly.

Freeradius is complaining in the logs, but now it looks like enough
back-n-forth is happening that my LNS doesn't lose its mind any more.

Freeradius is deciding that my accounting proxy destination 'looks like it
is dead'.

Tue Feb 16 07:45:32 2010 : Proxy: Marking home server {{radius-ip}}  port
1813 as zombie (it looks like it is dead).

I'm not entirely sure why, though. TCPDUMP shows a stream of accounting
requests being proxied to that server, and being received from that server,
while at the same time freeradius continues to log 'looks like it is dead'
messages.

Also, status check (via request) succeeds, naturally,  given that its not
the auth proxy that freeradius is complaining about.
(single downstream RADIUS configured as auth+acct)

Thanks,
Phil P

Tue Feb 16 07:46:31 2010 : Proxy: Received response to status check 68398
(563 in current sequence)