FreeRadius 2.1.3 & SQL error

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Feb 26 20:34:05 CET 2010

Hi,
> First question, is the only way to get Accounting data from FreeRadius
> by using one of the supported databases (like msql)? Is there no way to
> just cut records to a text file or, ideally, syslog?

the details files - depends how you've configured your server!

they would usually lurk in /var/log/radius/radacct - with each directory
containing info from each NAS.

> Second question: I inserted the following sql configuration (supplied to
> me) into sql.conf but when I start FR, it errors out with this message.
> Can someone tell me what is wrong?

supplied to you?  Why not just read the examples and configurations that come with
server (either grab the source code and check the files eg in raddb/sql/mysql/

these would show the sql_user_name = "%{User-Name}" bit and then the usage of eg

        accounting_start_query = " \
          INSERT INTO ${acct_table1} \
            (acctsessionid,    acctuniqueid,     username, \
             realm,            nasipaddress,     nasportid, \
             nasporttype,      acctstarttime,    acctstoptime, \
             acctsessiontime,  acctauthentic,    connectinfo_start, \
             connectinfo_stop, acctinputoctets,  acctoutputoctets, \
             calledstationid,  callingstationid, acctterminatecause, \
             servicetype,      framedprotocol,   framedipaddress, \
             acctstartdelay,   acctstopdelay,    xascendsessionsvrkey) \
          VALUES \
            ('%{Acct-Session-Id}', '%{Acct-Unique-Session-Id}', \
             '%{SQL-User-Name}', \
             '%{Realm}', '%{NAS-IP-Address}', '%{NAS-Port}', \
             '%{NAS-Port-Type}', '%S', NULL, \
             '0', '%{Acct-Authentic}', '%{Connect-Info}', \
             '%{Called-Station-Id}', '%{Calling-Station-Id}', '', \
             '%{Service-Type}', '%{Framed-Protocol}', '%{Framed-IP-Address}', \

alan