Managing the RADIUS database

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Jan 6 22:52:21 CET 2010

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> Considering that the project objective and purpose is designed around
>> FreeRADIUS and it's SQL database, and really doesn't have much use
>> elsewhere.
>>
>>>   Leverage the FreeRADIUS name. :)
>> Net::FreeRADIUS::Management ?
>
>   I'd say "Net::RADIUS::Management".  Design the schema, etc. to deal
> with data from the protocol.  Have the documentation, examples, etc.
> make it clear that the best product is FreeRADIUS. :)

Ok. I've bundled up what I have so far. If possible, it would be great
if a few could install the software, if even to provide feedback on the
documentation. Link at bottom of this message to tarball.

Until I can confirm a namespace (I will go for Net::RADIUS::Management),
I've left the namespace as ISP::RADIUS.

The README contains info regarding the table schemas, and all the
various bits of documentation for the module itself, the config file and
the included utility scripts.

There are some caveats at this time:

- MySQL and SQLite are the only systems that have been tested. The SQL
schemas themselves are for MySQL only. With that said, I can't see why
it won't work with other SQL servers. (I plan on setting up a Postgres
server to test with, but I've never used it before, so it may take me time).

- the archive_radacct script (well, the archive_radacct() method) is not
in a working state currently, until I can find a way to use DBIx::Class
to create tables based on dynamic names

- although I'm using this software in production, I wouldn't recommend
using it on a critical production box until it has exposure in the
field, and can be reviewed by Real Programmers ;)

- the config file is generated during the Makefile.PL routine, and
currently does not get written with an overly pretty format. This will
be fixed shortly. With that said, the config file does have a man page

- the nas classification config directives are not 100% accurate. The
SQL lookups are done with a like% search, which is inaccurate. What I
need to do implement a feature to be able to identify CIDR

This is the first software I've ever put out to a large audience. All
feedback and criticism is extremely welcome and hoped for.

http://ipv6canada.com/ISP-RADIUS-0.0.2.tar.gz

Cheers!

Steve