Problems with configuration Cisco -> freeradius

michi-bazi fries.michi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:45:10 CET 2010

Hello everybody,

my first post here, hope you are able to help me.
Honestly said I am a little bit confused.
Here is my problem: I tried to setup the freeradius for cisco
authentication.
Sadly it didn't work. My reference how to configure was this:
http://evilrouters.net/2008/11/19/configuring-freeradius-to-support-cisco-aaa-clients/comment-page-1/
To my bad it didn't work.
Here is what I have typed into the config files:

users:

cisco
        Auth-Type:      = System
        Service-Type    = NAS-Prompt-User,
#       cisco-avpair    =”shell:priv-lvl=15”

radiusd.conf:

user = root
group = root

clients.conf:

client 192.168.101.0/26 {
	secret		=Test_1
        shortname	        = site_a
	nastype		= cisco
}

The switch is configured:

aaa new-model
!
!
aaa authentication login default group radius local
aaa authentication login localauth local
aaa authentication ppp default if-needed group radius local

aaa authorization exec default group radius local
aaa authorization network default group radius local
aaa accounting delay-start vrf default
aaa accounting exec default start-stop group radius
aaa accounting network default start-stop group radius

aaa accounting system default start-stop group radius
!
ip radius source-interface Vlan1 vrf default
radius-server host 192.168.128.246 auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813 key Test_1
!
control-plane

Ping is running through.

When I type show ip aaa to the switch I get this:
sh aaa servers

RADIUS: id 2, priority 1, host 192.168.128.246, auth-port 1812, acct-port
1813
     State: current UP, duration 49s, previous duration 0s
     Dead: total time 0s, count 13

     Quarantined: No
     Authen: request 76, timeouts 76
             Response: unexpected 0, server error 0, incorrect 0, time 0ms
             Transaction: success 0, failure 19
             Response: unexpected 0, server error 0, incorrect 0, time 0ms
             Transaction: success 0, failure 0
     Account: request 60, timeouts 60
             Response: unexpected 0, server error 0, incorrect 0, time 0ms

             Transaction: success 0, failure 15
     Elapsed time since counters last cleared: 6d23h35m
site_mgt_manchester#

Would be great if you could help me, don't know what's wrong.

Best regards

Michael