AW: AW: Freeradius XP Client without certificate

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jul 20 23:01:16 CEST 2010

On 07/20/2010 01:12 PM, Lionne Stangier wrote:
>> That disagrees with what you said earlier:
>
>> 1) it doesn't need certs
>> 2) the cert is on the phone
>
> I mean you must not manually install the certificate.
>
>> And you can't change the way some things work.  EAP-TLS methods
>> require certificates.  Don't blame me, or FreeRADIUS for that.  All
>> other products on the market have the same restrictions.
>
> I don’t blame you or Freeradius, becuase that’s not a Freeradius problem.
> Pity, that an Iphone can load the certificate automatic and XP Laptop not

It's a damn shame. The XP supplicant has held back 802.1x by a decade.

HOWEVER - you can fix this by getting a wireless cert from a commercial
provider which is in XPs CA store by default (e.g. verisign). You then
need to write tedious instructions telling which 20 boxes to tick in
Windows to make sure it does the right thing, but at least you don't
have to visit the machine or download anything to it...