Setting up pam_radius_auth

Mike J sleeper0110 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 18:17:58 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:54 AM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>wrote:

> Mike J wrote:
> > Now obviously is says there's a problem with the secret, but I believe
> > I've setup the secret correctly in the configs I've shown above.
> > Does anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
>   Either the password is incorrect, or the MD5 calculations on the PAM
> or server side are broken.
>
>  If this is a PPC system, the PAM module might not have been built
> correctly.
>
>  You could also try install radclient on the same system as the PAM
> module.  If radclient works and PAM doesn't, then the PAM module wasn't
> built correctly.
>
>  See the pam_radius_auth.c file for how to build it.
>
>  Alan DeKok.

Thanks Alan.

It is a PPC module. However, since I was having problems with it I decided
to install the PAM module for my x86 workstation (from the Ubuntu Hardy
repository).  I'm getting the same results. The client/server talk to each
other but the password doesn't seem to be decrypted when the auth request
gets to the server.

This is why I was thinking maybe I've mis-configured my test server.

I've also double checked how I was building the PPC PAM module. I'm using
the provided makefile and setting up the compiler and linker to use the
proper ppc build tools. Any ideas of where I could be going wrong when
compiling it?

By the way, this is the entry in the top of my "users" file on my RADIUS
server:
testing Cleartext-Password := password

Is the "Cleartext-Password" option okay with for authenticating PAM clients?

Thanks.