Proxying creates 200 Attributes resulting in DoS warning

Marius Pesé Marius at mindspring.co.za
Wed Jul 28 16:50:01 CEST 2010

After spending some more time on our FreeRadius2 project it managed once again to leave me clueless. The error message:

WARNING: Possible DoS attack from host 196.25.xxx.xx: Too many attributes in request (received 201, max 200 are allowed).

Googleing showed that it most likely is the result of a mis-configuration in proxy.conf.
This is our proxy.conf without comments:

proxy server {
        default_fallback = no
}

home_server copy-acct-to-home-server-B {
            type = acct
            ipaddr = 196.25.xxx.xx
            port = 1646
            secret = xxxxxxxxxx
}

home_server_pool my_acct_failover {
        type = fail-over
        home_server = copy-acct-to-home-server-B
}

realm DEFAULT {
        acct_pool = my_acct_failover
}

realm LOCAL {
}

Might look a bit odd because we played around for quite a bit. Who can spot the fatal error?

Thanks
Marius