How to use Freeradius with traffic limit?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 7 23:01:26 CEST 2010

RaidenII wrote:
> I'm running Freeradius 2.1+Postgresql 8.4.4+OpenVPN on Ubuntu 9.10 x86. It
> runs smoothly now, however, I want to know that if there is any way to limit
> per user's traffic, like 10G/month, and disconnect/reject their connection
> when the limitation has reached.

  That is usually the function of the NAS.

  In 2.1.9, you can configure a CoA packet in the server, *if* the NAS
supports CoA.  i.e. check for limit in the "accounting" section, and
send a CoA packet to disconnect them if so.

> It seems the the column AcctInputOctets and AcctOutputOctets is responsible
> for traffic calculation, how should I limit user's traffic by using these
> two?

  See the NAS documentation for how to limit total traffic.  It usually
*isn't* those two attributes.