dynamic VLANs for many switches

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 17:05:44 CEST 2010

PENZ Robert <ROBERT.PENZ at tirol.gv.at> wrote:

>> This is not a FreeRADIUS question, it is a NAS question and whether your
>> NAS supports VLAN *names* rather than just numbers.
>
> I'm looking for a way to work with switches that do not support VLAN
> Names, and therefore I believe it is a free radius question. E.g. It
> would be possible for me to create a table with the VLAN IDs and the
> NAS IPs, so that freeradius could match them and send the correct VLAN
> ID, but I don't know how to use the NAS IP for such an lookup. Or
> maybe there is a better way to do it.

Right, my apologies then.  Yes it is possible, you could use a large
unlang switch statement[1] (if you do not have too many VLAN's) and key
it to a 'grouping' field[2] in your clients.conf.

There are other ways to do this, but this is the first one that comes to
mind.

Cheers

[1] http://freeradius.org/radiusd/man/unlang.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/freeradius-users@lists.freeradius.org/msg62699.html