Ubuntu OpenSSL

Ha, Thai thai.tro.ha at hp.com
Tue Jun 15 19:20:42 CEST 2010

If you just install 2.18 from the repository, OpenSSL works right out the box. If you must compile from source for whatever reason, I think I can help you. I was having the same issue as you yesterday, but finally managed to do it.

First, make sure you have OpenSSL and libssl-dev installed. Remove any previous attempts of freeradius you installed (/usr/local/freeradius). I would also remove the folder where you extracted 2.1.9 and extract it again. When you run ./configure you must add the openssl arguments

./configure --with-openssl-includes=/usr/local/openssl/include --with-openssl-libraries=/usr/local/openssl/lib --prefix=/usr/local/freeradius

Please note, I installed openssl from source and that is the directory where I installed openssl. You can pipe grep -i OpenSSL to see if there are any errors regarding OpenSSL. Now, just run make and make install like you normally do.  Once done, go to /usr/local/freeradius/sbin to run radius (./radius -X). I got an error during this step complaining about not being able to find some OpenSSL libraries. You need to make a script to tell radiusd where the file is.

vi run-radius

#!/bin/sh -x

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/openssl/lib
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/openssl/lib/libcrypto.so

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH LD_PRELOAD

/usr/local/freeradius/sbin/radiusd $@

Save and exit.
Next, you must make the script executable.

chmod u=rwx run-radius

Now you can run the script and everything should work (./run-radius -X). You will always have to execute to script to run freeradius.

I got most of my information from this link: http://text.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9286052~mode=flat

I am new to freeradius, so if I am doing something wrong, or inefficiently, please tell me.

Thai Ha