Marking proxy servers as zombie - odd behaviour

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Jun 17 18:19:31 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 17:54 +0200, Alan DeKok wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
> > Why does it think it looks like it is dead?
>
>   Because the home server didn't respond to *another* request.
>
>   Each request has a timer.  If the home server doesn't respond within
> that time, then it is marked "zombie".

Hmm. Given that the servers are lightly loaded, I guess we are looking
at packet loss over the network? I have no idea if our networking people
can 'detect' something like that, but I guess monitoring traffic coming
out of the proxy and going to the home server should show if a packet is
lost somewhere.

Many thanks for all the replies. We always have at least one home server
'alive' according to FR so this has not been a problem for our users. It
just seemed a bit odd behaviour when we looked into the log messages
more closely.

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001