freeradius Kerberos config in users file ?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jun 23 11:36:31 CEST 2010

Riccardo Veraldi wrote:
> if I configure freeradius2 with krb5 authentication and I use the
> following users file,
> the authentication works using radtest
>
> DEFAULT        Auth-Type := Kerberos

  See "man users" about the ":=" operator.  This *forces* Kerberos
authentication.

  See also my web page on password compatibility.  Kerberos isn't on
there, but it would look the same as the row showing CHAP.

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

> but it fails using EAP (EAP-TTLS) telling USer-PAssword attribute is
> missing...

  Yes... Kerberos takes a password entered by the user, and does
kerberos magic with it.  There is *no* password in EAP.  So Kerberos
doesn't work.

> if I instead use the following users file:
>
> DEFAULT        Auth-Type = Kerberos
>
> both radtest and EAP authentication works, and thtat's good, but why ?

  As always, read the debugging output.  It *tells* you why.

  In short, the "=" operator says "try Kerberos, but ONLY if nothing
else is supposed to authenticate the user".

  This means that the EAP module handles EAP, as it's supposed to.  The
"inner-tunnel" virtual server then gets a password *inside* of the TTLS
tunnel.  That password is used for kerberos authentication.

  *Please* go read the debug output and compare it to the above
description.  While it's complicated, it is the best way to understand
what's going on.