Login incorrect (rlm_pap: CRYPT password check failed):

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 13:39:32 CET 2010

Hi,

> i reinstall completely freeradius.
>
> radius.conf is not changed
> i just put on the top of users file
>
> omega  Cleartext-Password := "testing"
>
> and run radtest
> radtest omega testing 127.0.0.1 1 testing123
>
> Sending Access-Request of id 62 to 127.0.0.1 port 1812
>         User-Name = "omega"
>         User-Password = "testing"
>         NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.1.1
>         NAS-Port = 1
> rad_recv: Access-Reject packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 1812, id=62, length=20

you have a user in the system /etc/passwd with the id of 'omega'..and
theit password is not 'testing'

unix password takes priority over the plain users file....the debug output
very clearly shows this

> rlm_eap: Ignoring EAP-Type/tls because we do not have OpenSSL support.
> rlm_eap: Ignoring EAP-Type/ttls because we do not have OpenSSL support.
> rlm_eap: Ignoring EAP-Type/peap because we do not have OpenSSL support.

by the way....i included this in the output because it clearly shows that this
version of FreeRADIUS you are running has NOT been built with OpenSSL
support!  you must have the openssl-devel package installed and ensure the
build scripts build it!

> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 50649, id=62, length=57
>     User-Name = "omega"
>     User-Password = "testing"
>     NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.1.1
>     NAS-Port = 1

the daemon got the RADIUS packet

> ++[unix] returns updated
>     users: Matched entry omega at line 1

'unix' module, which uses /etc/passwd , found this user.

> ++[files] returns ok

'files' also found the user...but too late

> rlm_pap: login attempt with password "testing"
> rlm_pap: Using CRYPT encryption.
> rlm_pap: Passwords don't match

CRYPT? why CRYPT? well, thats because its a /etc/passwd entry and not plain text
which the users file is.  passwords don't match. good. luckily they didnt
or you would have though all was okay..when in fact you werent reading the right file
at all

alan