Libtool / autoconf is evil

Aaron Turner synfinatic at gmail.com
Sat May 1 06:57:09 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:15 AM, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:
> I've got to agree libtool is evil, it causes more breakage than anything it
> purports to fix. Autoconf is a great idea, but a horrible implementation
> because of it's insane complexity and utterly unreadable machine generated
> code. It's wonderful when it works, but pure hell when it doesn't. I've
> found myself in autotool hell more often than I would care to remember.
>
> However, at the moment I don't know what a viable alternative to autoconf
> would be. I suppose if you believe you won't ever need per OS configuration
> it's not necessary, but are we at that point of compatibility?

FWIW, I've been migrating my project (tcpreplay) from Auto* to Cmake.
It's a huge win if you're targeting Win32 (which I know freeradius
isn't), but I've been pretty happy with it under various flavors of
UNIX as well.  Syntax is sane, it's well maintained and good active
community.

Unfortunately, the U in UNIX doesn't stand for "unified".

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic