openssl

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Wed May 5 00:21:12 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 09:39:30PM +0100, Alan Buxey wrote:
> > 3.) Install the the main FreeRADIUS package from there, for example with:
> >         apt-get install -t lenny-backports freeradius
>
> alternatively, grab the source and build it yourself. the choice is yours.

No, I think that is a false choice for these users. We should not be
telling random newbies to take a route that has time and time again been
demonstrated to be too complicated for them to handle, when they can easily
use a more efficient method - install safe working binaries. That also has
the benefit of keeping them in the loop for later updates from the same
reliable channel. If they explicitly tell us that they already use Debian,
then we can't have much reason to have them avoid these Debian-specific
methods that accomplish our goals - to make these people happy users of FR.

This is one fairly trivial bug, even if one knows very little about
compiling source code - one just has to google, and/or read the official
web site (wiki), and find that all they have to do is install that one
package and restart the build process, and they're good - yet numerous users
have sent an e-mail to the list saying it's been a showstopper for them.

I do not see what is there to gain by telling these people to keep using
a method they clearly do not understand enough to be able to solve a
relatively easy problem with. Sure, they can apply this quick fix now, but
will it help their FreeRADIUS experience, and in turn will it help
FreeRADIUS? Isn't it better for all to get them past the installation phase
as quickly as possible, and not have to rehash these tangential issues,
when time could be better spent educating them about core issues such as
FreeRADIUS configuration semantics, or RADIUS protocol issues?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.