Tee accounting via detail

Pavel Levshin pavel at levshin.spb.ru
Thu May 6 08:20:08 CEST 2010

Hello.

I have to copy our accounting flow to multiple destinations. It can be
done with multiple detail files and multiple detail readers, each
proxying to one destination. But there are problems:

1. Detail reader can process one request from the file at a time. So, if
we have relatively slow (in terms of round-trip-time, like satellite)
link, then we cannot process packets at any reasonable speed. If RTT is
0.5s, then we cannot relay more than 2 requests per second. It is
horribly slow. Did I miss something?

2. Most of our accounting traffic should be delivered in realtime. Delay
in transmission is much worse than some degree of loss. Now, one
undelivered request may block complete detail file for some time.

3. Even when detail reader has not been blocked, it may stuck for
poll_interval seconds when processing of detail.work has been finished.
Even when new detail file exists.

4. Some of the destinations may not reply at all (RADIUS sniffers behave
so). We would be happy to send them a copy of each accounting request
and forget it immediately. Is it possible?

--
Pavel Levshin