Log IP address (Calling-Station-Id?) of failed authentication attempts

Matt Hite lists at beatmixed.com
Mon May 10 06:59:56 CEST 2010

Was a bit confused with this one. You can't actually use msg_goodpass
and/or msg_badpass unless auth_goodpass and/or auth_badpass is set to
"yes." Doing this DOES force logging of passwords. (Comments in
radiusd.conf seem to confirm.)

Did a bit more digging (ie. checked out source code and looked at it).
It appears the functionality to log client IP (Calling-Station-Id) is
already there -- you only need "auth = yes" in radiusd.conf enabled.
Enabling "auth_badpass = yes" and/or "auth_goodpass = yes" and
msg_goodpass/msg_badpass to include %{Calling-Station-Id} is not
necessary.

Specifically, there is a function in auth.c called auth_name() that is
called during radlog_request(). This function will expand
Calling-Station-Id for inclusion in the log message.

It appears the actual NAS equipment I am using (Force10) just doesn't
send a Calling-Station-Id; hence FreeRADIUS doesn't log it. Works fine
with Cisco kit though.

Mystery solved!

-M