A question about disconnections

Nick Warr nick at mobilia.it
Fri May 14 16:41:52 CEST 2010

We're a WISP using freeradius to do our AAA, and are in the process of
updating our backend to the latest version of freeradius (probably
2.1.8), and we've been able to resolve a lot of issues with our current
setup, except for a few (possibly vital) problems.

The one we haven't been able to find anything about is if there's a
method, or check we can implement to prevent this sort of situation.

We have a central radius server, and a few point to point connections
where we have our point to multipoint connections (base stations) each
base stations is a NAS, which for the most part works just fine. Our
problem happens if something interrupts the point to point connectivity,
the PPP sessions between the CPEs and the base stations remain up, but
on the radius side, if the point to point connection remains down for
longer than the idle timeout, the user (at least for freeradius) is
disconnected.

The NAS however, remains unaware of this (as the UDP disconnect message
didn't arrive.. link down and all that), and the user remains up and
functional, but we no longer have any accounting for that user. This of
course, we can reset by hand, but if it happens during the night for
example, we could lose several hours of accounting.

What I'd like to know is if freeradius 2.x has some sort of
functionality we can configure to make sure that if the radius server is
receiving accounting packets for an account which should be
disconnected, that it will re-send the PoD to get the NAS to actually
disconnect it.

Is what I'm requesting something strange (or conversely idiotic, because
it's only our Mikrotik base stations that don't do something like this) ?

Thanks,

Nick Warr