COA default configuration...Need help to test radclient

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat May 15 08:28:55 CEST 2010

Eric Martell wrote:
>   I followed the direction of how to setup COA in the freeradius.
> Uncommented from client.conf coa_server = localhost-coa
>
> When I ran the sample radclient, I am not seeing any response back.
> Do I have to do anything more than any default configuration?

  In 2.1.8, there's an example CoA server in raddb/sites-available/coa

> Fri May 14 19:59:04 2010 : Debug: Listening on authentication address *
> port 1812
> Fri May 14 19:59:04 2010 : Debug: Listening on accounting address * port
> 1813
> Fri May 14 19:59:04 2010 : Debug: Listening on command file
> /home/test/freeradius-2.1.8/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.sock
> Fri May 14 19:59:04 2010 : Debug: Listening on proxy address * port 1814

  The server isn't listening on the CoA port.  Ensure that it's
listening on the CoA port *before* sending it packets via radclient.

  Again, the whole purpose of debugging mode is to *read it*.

  If you *read* the rest of the debug output and look for "coa", it
becomes clear that you configured the server to *originate* CoA packets.
  Yet you're trying to *send* it CoA packets.  This won't work.

  Please *read* the documentation at the top of
raddb/sites-available/originate-coa.  You configured the server to use
it, so you *must* know it exists.  The documentation explains what that
file does, and how you can test it.

  This *is* documented.  Please read it.