Looking for an editor for FreeRADIUS documentation

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue May 18 22:12:55 CEST 2010

Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> The problem with volunteer 're-factoring' work, is that although people mean well when they offer their assistance, it doesn't usually work out... They'll often spend a couple of weeks working on the task, get bored, figure they'll take a break and come back to it later, and it never gets completed.

  I'd say the hard part is getting people to just write docs.  It's not
as sexy as programming, but it has arguably more *positive* impact on
the end user.

  It looks like a good set of volunteers wanting to help.  My suggestion
is to convert the docs to "Restructured text":

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

  Quick reference:

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html

  Peter Nixon has converted a few documents over to RST:

http://github.com/alandekok/freeradius-server/commits/master

  Look at the difference between the old && new versions.  The new
version is *automatically* marked up nicely on github!

http://github.com/alandekok/freeradius-server/blob/master/doc/load-balance.rst

  This makes it *enormously* easier to read.

  Personally, I'd be happy if this effort results in the existing docs
being converted to RST.  It's easy to read as text, and looks good as HTML.