Restricting certain users access to certain NAS devices

Whitmarsh Mark (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust) mark.whitmarsh at nhs.net
Wed May 26 18:40:26 CEST 2010

Hi All,
We are using Freeradius to authenticate network administrators when they login to their switches and routers. The setup is working fine as follows:
User telnets to switch and enters username and password.
Switch passes authentication request to Freeradius.
Freeradius authenticates user against AD.

The users are all defined in the users file - the lines I've added or changed from default are below:

superuser1        Auth-Type = ntlm_auth
superuser2        Auth-Type = ntlm_auth
loweruser1        Auth-Type = ntlm_auth
loweruser2        Auth-Type = ntlm_auth

DEFAULT Group == "disabled", Auth-Type := Reject
                Reply-Message = "You are not permitted to access this system"

The idea is that superusers are allowed to login to any of the 200 network devices whilst users are only allowed to login to a subset of say 50 devices.
It's straightforward enough for the superusers and works fine but I'm stumped on how to handle the others. I have tested the following OK in sites-enabled/default:

if ("%{User-Name}" == loweruser1) {
      update reply {
              Reply-Message := "Mark Whitmarsh not allowed here"
                          }
      reject
}

If I login as loweruser1 it rejects me as expected. I think I need to put my users and network devices into groups so I can test for variables but I'm stuck on how to do that.

After reading lots of man pages and getting nowhere I've hit one of those annoying mental blocks and need some help.

Thanks,
Mark Whitmarsh.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSI recipients
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail