RADDB 2.1.7 and /etc/shadow

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri May 28 09:09:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

> I am part of a consortium of public and private universities and scientific
> research facilities and our internal listserv on radius frequently talks

...as am I. but I inform people that they should read the documentation
and follow the basic information provided about how to troubleshoot and get
help before using the list  (because there's nothing to show you up better
than 'it doesnt work, please help' as the sole contents of your email  :-| )

> people off of freeradius solely because of the sarcastic and chip on the
> shoulder attitude of "some" of the developers.  Quit being such a Mordac
> Alan, it scares the tourists and devalues the otherwise excellent work done
> by other people on this project.

huh? without Alan there wouldnt be the project.

PS regarding talking people off FreeRADIUS - you sure theres not some
agenda present there - after all, FreeRADIUS is Open Source GPL software -
something not favoured by some due to their political leanings. its also
free - which is also not favoured by some.  There are commercial offerings
out there - but , and this is particularly apt with the current financial
climate - is it not easier to defend and deploy services which are
free and not extra cost than to be talking about ROI/TCO and bottom line of
services - especially regarding systems such as 'eduroam' - which are pretty
much free if you have 802.1X capable kit and a local 802.1X network
already present...

alan