Checkval weird issue with LDAP backend and PAM authentication

Marco Carcano marco at marcolinux.it
Sat Nov 27 00:21:29 CET 2010

Hi Alan,

just to let you know:

if (NAS-Identifier == "%{ldap:cn=%{User-
Name},ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local (eckAllowedServices)}" ) {
           ok
  }

message:

++? if (NAS-Identifier == "%{ldap:cn=%{User-
Name},ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local (eckAllowedServices)}" )
rlm_ldap: - ldap_xlat
         expand: cn=%{User-Name},ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local
(eckAllowedServices) -> cn=testuser,ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local
(eckAllowedServices)
rlm_ldap: String passed does not look like an LDAP URL.
         expand: %{ldap:cn=%{User-
Name},ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local (eckAllowedServices)} ->

it seems to me that it "fires" the ldap module but it don't like my
syntax.

the same is for

if (NAS-Identifier == "%{ldap:cn=%{User-
Name},ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local}" ) {
           ok
  }

++? if (NAS-Identifier == "%{ldap:cn=%{User-
Name},ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local}" )
rlm_ldap: - ldap_xlat
         expand: cn=%{User-Name},ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local ->
cn=testuser,ou=Users,dc=marcolinux,dc=local
rlm_ldap: String passed does not look like an LDAP URL.

I do not understand why the message complains about LDAP URL - ldap
URL is the address of the server - what I provided is an LDAP DN

I tought it is not necessary to supply the LDAP URL because they are
already provided in modules/ldap file

Now I'm sure I have undestood absolutely nothing about this module

Marco