WiMax VSA Support

Ben Wiechman wiechman.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:47:14 CEST 2010

I don't have access to an Alvarion ASN-GW so I can't specifically test this
all. Looking back over the service assignment again I see I didn't grab
everything. I did grab the QOS descriptors, but missed the packet flow
descriptor.

This is the corrected full sample service that provisions services of
2Mbps/512kbps.
WiMAX-QoS-Id  	:=  	101
WiMAX-Service-Class-Name 	:= 	DATA
WiMAX-Schedule-Type 	:= 	Best-Effort
WiMAX-Traffic-Priority 	:= 	1
WiMAX-Maximum-Sustained-Traffic-Rate 	:= 	512000
WiMAX-Reduced-Resources-Code 	:= 	1
WiMAX-QoS-Id 	+= 	102
WiMAX-Service-Class-Name 	+= 	DATA
WiMAX-Schedule-Type 	+= 	Best-Effort
WiMAX-Traffic-Priority 	+= 	1
WiMAX-Maximum-Sustained-Traffic-Rate 	+= 	2097152
WiMAX-Reduced-Resources-Code 	+= 	1
WiMAX-Packet-Data-Flow-Id 	:= 	22
WiMAX-Service-Data-Flow-Id 	:= 	22
WiMAX-Direction 	:= 	Bi-Directional
WiMAX-Activation-Trigger 	:= 	15
WiMAX-Transport-Type 	:= 	IPv4-CS
WiMAX-Uplink-QOS-Id 	:= 	101
WiMAX-Downlink-QOS-Id 	:= 	102
WiMAX-Uplink-Classifier 	:= 	permit in any src any dst any
priority 1
WiMAX-Downlink-Classifier 	:= 	permit in any src any dst any
priority 1

The root is that you need to read and understand the interdependencies of
the QOS descriptor and packet flow descriptor if you want to do this.
Seriously. It isn't entirely trivial and there are differences depending on
the Schedule Type.
Again... check out the WMF stage three docs for whichever version of the WMF
the Alvarion ASN-GW currently supports, namely these sections:
5.4.2.28 Packet-Flow Descriptor
5.4.2.29 QoS-Descriptor and Table 5-10
The requirements are outlined there.

You can also pre-provision the services on the ASN-GW and simply supply the
proper service ID information.
e.g.
WiMAX-Packet-Data-Flow-Id  	:=  	30
WiMAX-Service-Data-Flow-Id 	:= 	30
WiMAX-Service-Profile-Id 	:= 	30
WiMAX-Packet-Data-Flow-Id 	+= 	110
WiMAX-Service-Data-Flow-Id 	+= 	110
WiMAX-Service-Profile-Id 	+= 	110
Where the services listed are defined on the ASN-GW with those ID numbers.

Which of the above methods to use is going to depend on your requirements.

Having said that, Alvarion has had a history of... creative...
interpretations of various standards. Without a sample Access-Accept that
apparently works when using the Filter-Id I can't compare.

I would do the following:
Ensure there aren't any differences in the non-QOS attributes being returned
in the two separate cases: the working Filter-Id network entry and the
second failing case. Alvarion's errors aren't always explanatory or related
to the actual root cause so the strange error you are getting may be related
to services, or may be related to an EAP or other underlying issue. Again, I
don't have an Alvarion ASN-GW so I can't tell you.

Once you are sure there are not any other EAP issues, it may be easier to
use the second method to provision services until you actually understand
the details of the packet flow descriptor and qos descriptor. Your ASN-GW
may or may not have the same requirements as ours depending on which WMF
release is supported, and how well that release is supported.

Ben