Problem with MSCHAP

Mark Holmes mark.holmes at nuffield.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 12 10:25:41 CEST 2010

OK,

Just to recap, I'm working on setting Freeradius up to authenticate users to our wireless network.  We want to use PEAP-MSCHAPv2 and authenticate against Active Directory.  I'm using samba and ntlm_auth.

Versions:freeradius2-2.1.7-7.el5 and samba3.0.33-3.29

Needless to say it's failing.

I set the mydomain.ox.ac.uk realm in proxy.conf as someone on here suggested on Friday, and that has cleared up the warning about unknown realms.

When connecting, I still get several errors before auth fails.

I've pasted my debug output into the web tool and it picks out the following in red

security {
        max_attributes = 200
        reject_delay = 1 (This line in red)
        status_server = yes
 }

(all in red)
Module: Instantiating attr_filter.access_reject
  attr_filter attr_filter.access_reject {
        attrsfile = "/etc/raddb/attrs.access_reject"

[pap] WARNING! No "known good" password found for the user.  Authentication may fail because of this. (In yellow)

I also see (not highlighted) that I'm still getting

[mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create LM-Password.
[mschap] No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create NT-Password.
[mschap] Told to do MS-CHAPv2 for holmes at mydomain.ox.ac.uk with NT-Password
[mschap] FAILED: No NT/LM-Password.  Cannot perform authentication.
[mschap] FAILED: MS-CHAP2-Response is incorrect

I have configured modules/mschap to use ntlm_auth as follows

ntlm_auth = "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --username=%{mschap:User-Name:-None} --domain=%{%{mschap:NT-Domain}:-MYDOMAIN} --challenge=%{mschap:Challenge:-00} --nt-response=%{mschap:NT-Response:-00}"

Am I missing something in the MSCHAP config?

Cheers,

Mark