sql.conf vs. modules/sql

Josip Rodin joy at entuzijast.net
Tue Oct 26 19:27:30 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:10:07AM -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Stefan Winter wrote:
> > when setting up a brand-new server, I fell over one caveat (and did so
> > more than once, actually): almost all modules are placed in modules/*
> > and get get auto-loaded when they are needed by the actual configuration.
> >
> > Except eap.conf and sql.conf - these need explicit $INCLUDEs in
> > radiusd.conf.
>
>   Yes...
>
> > I wonder why - couldn't sql.conf just become modules/sql? It's commented
> > out anyway, so wouldn't get loaded with the default config. But it would
> > enable auto-loading when uncommenting "sql" - making thinking of
> > radiusd.conf obsolete.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
>   Probably for 2.2.0.  If people think it's an OK change to make for
> 2.1.11, it could be done there, too.

Depends on what you mean by "people" :)

We've discussed the same previously, and it got pushed back with the same
rationale, which sounds good in theory and which I also agree with, but in
practice it seems to be just an indefinite postponing. And when 2.2.x
finally does get out, it might not be very stable due to other changes, but
we could use this change in the stable branch. It's good for config
consistency, it simplifies documentation, makes things straightforward for
the users, and it will often mean one less vague conffile prompt for Debian
and Ubuntu users.

The only downside is the transition, and biting that bullet sounds
relatively painless and worthwhile.

So, at this point, I say just do it :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.