Wireless WPA2 enterprise Radius authentication

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Thu Oct 28 01:11:36 CEST 2010

Maurice James <midnightsteel at msn.com> wrote:

> How do I do it?

You need a password in the clear in your LDAP directory, not hashed. I use a
different (self defined) attribute in my LDAP directory to do this and
use ldap.attrmap to map this attribute (called gifb-NetzPassword in my
schema) to the required RADIUS-Attribute-Name:

checkItem       Cleartext-Password              gifb-NetzPassword

And no, there is _no_ way to use _any_ CHAP method using an encrypted or
hashed password.

> Radius to ldap works no problem

Yes, because this most definitely uses PAP as authentication method,
which works with hashed/encrypted passwords.

> Wireless to radius to ldap does not

This is because the windows wireless supplicant can only use MSCHAPv2
(or ans SSL cert) to authenticate. This is a FAQ item, I suggest you to
read the documentation on the website again.

http://wiki.freeradius.org/index.php/FAQ#PAP_authentication_works_but_CHAP_fails

Grüße,
Sven.

--