FAQ and Wiki down?

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Sat Oct 30 18:28:36 CEST 2010

"Sallee, Stephen (Jake)" <Jake.Sallee at umhb.edu> wrote:

> I feel your pain, we have the same thing happen form time to time.
> Check with your ISP, when it happens to us it is usually their DNS
> server caching and old entry or a bad statement in one of their routers.

Sometimes hostmaster@ should receive some pain for misconfiguration:
----
alex at chipmunk:~$ dig +trace NS freeradius.org
[snipped]
freeradius.org.         86400   IN      NS      ns3.freeradius.org.
freeradius.org.         86400   IN      NS      ns5.freeradius.org.
freeradius.org.         86400   IN      NS      ns6.freeradius.org.
;; Received 134 bytes from 2001:500:48::1#53(b2.org.afilias-nst.org) in 103 ms
[snipped]

alex at chipmunk:~$ host -t NS freeradius.org ns3.freeradius.org
alex at chipmunk:~$ host -t NS freeradius.org ns6.freeradius.org
alex at chipmunk:~$ host -t NS freeradius.org ns5.freeradius.org
Using domain server:
Name: ns5.freeradius.org
Address: 88.191.76.128#53
Aliases:

freeradius.org name server ns6.freeradius.org.
freeradius.org name server ns5.freeradius.org.
----

For some reason freeradius has three NS servers being spat out by the
.org TLD authority boxen, you ask the *only* responding authority server
for freeradius.org and it comes back that there are only two authoritative
servers for the zone. :)

If this is a recent breakage, it's possible either ns3 or ns6 gave back
something interesting (NXDOMAIN for example) which have be cached by
your resolver just before it completely went down.

Either way, freeradius.org probably could do with more than one
authoritive DNS server :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: People are unconditionally guaranteed to be full of defects.