Strange problem regarding PPTP and FreeRADIUS

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Sep 12 11:23:42 CEST 2010

On 09/11/2010 09:20 PM, Ali Majdzadeh wrote:
> Edvin,
> Hi
> Thanks for your response. FreeRADIUS is running on Debian Lenny and
> PopTop Server is running on a RedHat-based distribution.
> By the way, in pptpd's logs, I mentioned the following:
>
> /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf: line 16: unrecognized keyword:
> radius_deadtime
>
> I know that pppd uses radius.so plugin to perform PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP and
> MS-CHAPv2 authentication against a RADIUS server.
> Might this be the issue?

That might be it. It looks like you might have mangled the configs in
/etc/radiusclient. This isn't a FreeRadius problem.

We use poptop/pppd/radius.so on RHEL4 x86 and RHEL5 x86_64, and the
combination works reliably for us.

Where did you get your /etc/radiusclient configs from? Is the pppd
package the standard one which comes with your RHEL distro - which pppd
rpm version? Which version and CPU architecture are you running RHEL on?

I suggest you go back to the original versions of /etc/radiusclient
configs and make small changes one-by-one until it either works or breaks.